FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United mile up promo is garbage
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:36 pm
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Curious why you think the Chase card sucks....Care to elaborate?

I tend to think it is one of the better cards out there for me (USA based - Chase Sapphire Preferred). Am I missing something?

The UA shopping mall can work fine. It can also be a nightmare. I have not had any awful experiences, but have had some issues with having miles post. The credits do not happen quickly and it is difficult to track.

I would expect if you used them regularly, you would start having issues pop up. And the resolution of them is not necessarily easy.
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
<snip>
I actually feel that way about all American co branded cards except Amex. While they waive these large fees for many of us the first year, make no mistake about it these cards make a fortune by a) large fees & worse, the way they continue to take advantage of many customers by raising their limits in order to make sure they can't pay the balance in full every month, thus racking up huge interest charges. I love my Amex because I must pay it in full every month. I even have an Emirates branded card from my bank in Dubai but only because my fees are waived every year.

These banks are such scum, I had a Citi Bank AAdvantage MasterCard a few years ago that was cancelled by the bank. The reason? After 3 years as a customer I never paid a penny in interest. That made me & a number of others who also had their cards cancelled "undesirable" customers because we paid our bills to fast This was 100% legal for the banks to do
OK. Thanks for the explanation.

I do not carry balances / pay interest, which seems to be similar to many of us on FT who are using cards to augment mile earning. I am not a big admirer of banks in general, and in fact use a Credit Union exclusively for my traditional banking needs...but I will continue to take advantage of the evil banks attempt to lure me into paying them interest. My willpower is strong and my mile cravings are stronger.

I was worried there was a better mile-producing card out there for my circumstances that I was missing out on. Wheh !