FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel while undergoing chemo treatment
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:23 pm
RomeoEcho

In addition to the previous suggestions:

Remember that travel to Asia is hard and exhausting on anyone. So even if you feel good at the beginning of your trip, take any and all shortcuts or assistance you can, it will all pile up at the end of the trip and taking help before you need it will make things much more pleasant all around.

Seeing your family and all the love and joy and positiveness of the experience is an important part of cancer treatment when it is possible. So try talking to your doctor honestly about what you want to be able to do and how they can help you. As important as it is to have all of your treatments on time, sometimes an opportunity like this is even more important. They may be able to rearrange your schedule to give you a little extra strength for this trip.

As for the TSA, I've had things go either way with them. I've learned not to call any attention to my medication or devices until they question them. Most of the time, I go through without a glitch. If and when there is a problem, then be insistent and don't let them keep you from taking any of it on the plane. If it's medically necessary, it's allowed.

Foods that are good to travel with include things that are just add hot water things, oatmeal, soup, etc. Ask a flight attendant for hot water, you can explain that you have a medical condition if necessary. That way you can eat comfort foods, while still having a hot meal on the plane.