FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:26 am
sunshine-state

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
As luck would have it, I visited an OD today and noticed they had some of these sought-after cards. So I took one to the register, handed it to the cashier and said I wanted to put $500 on it. He punched his buttons, told me to swipe my credit card, I did, signed electronically, he thanked me and that was it. He never even looked at my credit card, never mind my ID - manager's approval? No way. Heck, buying $5 worth of light bulbs at Lowes they make you show your credit card and ID. Not at the OD I was in today, at least not with that cashier, for me.

I'm reading all sorts of different experiences that people are having with this. I think the acronym YMMV has never been more true.
This is the same for me. Last week, I went in to an OD stocked full of beans, so to test the waters, I bought a card and loaded $25. No questions asked, just swiped my CC and went on my way. This week, I went to the same OD, still fully stocked, and bought 2 x $500. Cashier looked a little surprised that I was spending that much, but punched away at entering the amount for each card, had me swipe my CC, and no further questions. Maybe the first $25 didn't raise a flag with the bean company, but if anything would raise a flag, this latest 2 x $500 probably would. The next time I go to buy more reloads, we'll see if they need a manager.