FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase United MileagePlus Explorer: Is this offer worth it?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:26 pm
ralphch

Chase United MileagePlus Explorer: Is this offer worth it?

I just booked an award trip on United and received the following offer for the MileagePlus Explorer credit card: (a) up to 65,000 miles (55,000 easy after spending $1,000 in 3 months), (b) $50 statement credit.

I don't consider myself a frequent flyer (3-4 international trips per year), and I rarely get to Silver elite level. Furthermore, I never use miles for upgrading (just for flying free) and, when paying, I always shop for the lowest coach fares within StarAlliance flights. This means that I would value some of the perks of this card such as the priority boarding and lounge passes, which I can't achieve with my flying habits.

Thus, I'm wondering if this card is a good deal for someone in my situation. My questions are:

1. For mileage accrual, is this a good deal? Or am I better off with a card like the CapitalOne Venture?

2. Are the miles obtained with this card are Premier qualifying? The bonus miles definitely are not, but I don't see anything specific about the miles you accrue when spending with the card.

Thanks,
Ralph