FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cash Upgrade
Thread: Cash Upgrade
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:32 am
Donl888

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I think it depends on where you are. NRT is a relatively big UA hub and they are probably quite strict about applying rules. I can always upgrade for cash on CX from NRT and even cheaper in TPE, but in HKG they always make such a production out of it that I don't even try anymore.
My experience has been it's generally a function of the quality of the employee.

For the best chance, go to the Business Class lounge and ask there because they have their better people working in those places.

I asked a USAir "Customer Service" agent in PHL one time and she just blew me off. The lazy hag couldn't be bothered. I went to the Business Class lounge and was immediately helped. I made a point to file a complaint about the hag too.

A similar experience in with UA Shanghai: The check in dude said "no seats available" instantly. I knew he was lying because the lazy puke didn't even look.

I asked again of the manager at the boarding gate and there were plenty of seats. She took care of it on the spot. I made a point there too of filing a complaint regarding the lazy check in agent and after returning home I did so again in writing to UA.

A key point to remember: (with UA anyway) the upgrade is per flight segment only so if you are connecting somewhere you need to pay again.