FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Creating a Photo: Back to New York with British Airways and the A318 in CWLCY
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:50 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Well, that trip could had gone a lot better. In fact, I’m trying to work out what else could had gone wrong (and came up with a short list that I’m now having nightmares over when I travel next).

However, time to be objective and lets look at the products in conclusion.

British Airways has one hell of a product going across the pond from City Airport. The product was delivered in a strong polished performance that puts some Transatlantic business class experiences to shame. In some ways, with the attention to detail and staffing, I’d put it above the Asiana First Class experience I had some ways before. In other ways, there could be a little refinement to the product – like proper salt and pepper pots and a bit of caring for the seating as it is showing wear and tear after a couple of years. These are small things that don’t really detract from what is one of the best products in the air. The ground experience could be slightly better at New York, allowing LCY passengers in the Concorde room (as opposed to sending them to the Terraces lounge) to emphasise the “specialness” of the service. Oh, and luggage delivery could be sped up too.

A shame three kids ruined the outbound experience really with parents who need to learn to say to their kids sit down and shut it.

The Holiday Inn Long Island City - Manhattan View is an amazing property for the price. Yes, it’s in Long Island City/Queens but don’t let that put you off. It’s over the Queensbourgh bridge, and you’re in Manhattan. 15 minutes to Midtown with nearly £50 savings a night is what I call a good value proposition. The fact that I was upgraded to a suite really just adds icing to the cake. Again – a great property.

Spending time with my friends was so important this trip – it took away from the stresses of the trip (of which there were many). That and it’s good to reconnect with people who I see so rarely.

Apple and Adorama were lifesavers in different ways, allowing me to function and do what I do – write, take pictures and process pictures. A shame my kit is showing its age now… but they were there.

Now for those of you who think I’ve gone soft and can never look at an Economy Class seat again… You’d be wonderfully wrong for some very simple reasons – namely cost. As much as I would love a Champagne lifestyle, I’m a dreadful thing: A realist. Whilst all the space and amenities are nice, part of the trip for me is getting to the destination. I decided to treat myself… because I could for once. In some ways I could have had more fun in Economy Class (with better behaved children in it probably).

But it is good to try new things – and this was something to try. And at £1200 return, I did feel I got good value for money.

Which is what matters to me.

Speaking of value for money, please rejoin me in November where I do my usual London to Chicago trip. However there is a change in the air as I abandon Star Alliance and join OneWorld in Different Airlines – Same Routes – to Chicago with American Airlines and British Airways

Until then, happy flying!

Oh – this isn’t over yet – there’s a picture isn’t there…

Last edited by Kevincm; Sep 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm