FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downs Syndrome is a security risk!
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:25 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by mgchan
While it's certainly possible at someone just complained I would think it would have to be a very important person for the airline to remove the family if the boy was just sitting there quietly.

From what I've read e airline claims the kid was running around. I read a quote that the mom said he was acting no different from a 4-5 year old kid (not sure about this though). If that's the case, I could understand a determination that a large 16 year old acting like a 4-5 year old, particularly if running around, would pose a risk.

Yes, I understand the story says the kid was sitting quietly, very calm, a model citizen, and a frequent flier. But consider the source, a family who has apparently already said they plan on suing.

Yes, airlines need to be cognizant of those with disabilities and doubtless have a long way to go. But is doesn't extend indefinitely. If this was a drunk 26 year old who was acting like a 4-5 year old, running around and causing a scene, removed from the flight despite his friends saying that he would just fall asleep once he gets a snack, would anyone complain?
So you're equating a boy with a major intellectual disability with a drunk?

In the articles I've seen, the mother is quoted as saying her son has the mental capacity of a 4 to 5 year old child. It's pretty common for kids of that mental age to get excited before a flight and maybe goof off in the gate area, yet not all of them are deemed security risks.

And at 5'1" the boy is not large for 16. In fact, my average sized 12 yr old is taller than that.

Let's see if the airline can produce any video footage to support a claim that the boy posed a risk to the flight.