FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me or did some award levels recently change?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:12 pm
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by DLroads
Cynical and painful, but true, I guess (see below)

Well, in that case, their media group does not do their job properly (Yes, I have some direct questions here). Let me ask again -- if we follow the official recommendations with regards to communication and updates from Delta, how come we fell short of receiving a message of this change? Isn't that a definition of someone in the media group falling short on their duties? If they were asked not to communicate the changes, it means that someone who is responsible for their guidelines fell short on customer orientation. Either way, I think it is fair that we get an explanation from the Delta ambassadors' to the community. The green tag is given for communication purposes.

Well, there are two sides to this apple, and in both Delta has some serious questions to answer: First- delta's claim (and SEC rules as well comply) that booking trips using miles is actually very GOOD for their books. It deletes obligations, and it is listed as revenue. In such case, encouraging people to book is a good thing to do. So, even if more people would find their way through the broken award calendar and book a ticket, it should not be a problem. Second- no company of such size rise and fall on a point-based quarter goal. I find it hard to believe that it would help Delta burn more miles on the short run. If anything, I believe that many (myself included) keep their 'bookings' on a close-watch and will be more careful in making decisions about their revenue ($$$ and miles) bookings.
If you buy Delta's response in the other thread about MQM valuation then DL *can't* give anyone a heads up because it amounts to a fare change which they are legally prevented from advertising. So in other words they have to put the changes into effect before anyone knows about them.

The question then becomes why they didn't post about it (blog about it, etc.) as soon as they made the change. Legally the fares are in effect so they can write/talk about them immediately after that. DL didn't do that.

So now I understand why they don't advertise them 30 days in advance, again if the logic behind it is true.

-RM