FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CDG or GVA to visit southern burgundy?
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:21 am
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Are there no direct TGV trains to Dijon/Creusot TGV?
Nope. You need to go to Gare de Lyon for those TGVs. If the OP is headed towards Northern Burgundy (say: between Montbard and Dijon), I'd consider that. If the OP is headed towards Souther Burgundy (South of Beaune), train from CDG2 to Lyon-Part-Dieu would make sense.

Similarly, as between CDG and GVA, depending on where the OP is going to in Burgundy, either might be suitable. For Northern Burgundy, I would go for CDG (using the Francilienne rather than the périphérique). For Southern Burgundy, I would go for GVA (as a second best after Lyon), assuming that the OP's flight timings to GVA are as convenient as for CDG, which may or may not be the case.

IME. car rental rates are often cheaper from the French side than the Swiss side. If renting from the French side, I would not personally pay for the Vignette for the 10 or so miles of Swiss motorway. I'd use ordinary road to cross Geneva, on the assumption that this is not rush hour (it is also possible to route entirely on smaller roads the French side if the timings are bad from crossing Geneva).