FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone flown on sukhoi superjet 100-95
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:20 am
KQ321

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I think he was flying on IL-86 of Pulkovo from the description.
Hmm. I was also thinking IL-86, which indeed has wide stairs going down from the main passenger deck (I thought they were at the front of the Y cabin, rather than in the C cabin, but I might be mistaken, or maybe it varied depending on individual operator's layouts). I think this design was to facilitate passenger embarkation at remote strips with no airbridges nor high enough stairs. The IL-86 was always designed as a passenger airliner (although it has also been used for military purposes) - not as a bomber.

The other option would be the IL-76, which is a multi-purpose aircraft used for both military and civilian purposes. It has a glass-nose, which makes it look like an old-style bomber (although I think the glass-nose may have just been designed to facilitate landing at remote strips, rather than as a bomb-aiming facility...) Unfortunately I've never flown on one, but I guess it also has steps inside. However, I don't think it has ever seen wide-spread use for scheduled passenger flights.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
A short hop from Moscow - St Petersburg an a plane that looked like a 727 on steroids.
I'd also be interested to know what this one was. I'm guessing Tu-154, but it could also have been a Yak-42.

Originally Posted by metoo
Has anyone flown on sukhoi superjet 100-95
Sadly not. It's one of the very few current civilian manufacturers that I haven't flown on yet - although I would if I had the chance.

Last edited by KQ321; Aug 25, 2012 at 7:30 am Reason: Answering the original question