FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:49 am
mnscout

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stubtify
I agree Sign up bonuses are the best way to gain points right now. My issue is that I don't like every other post on a blog to be an ad for the CSP. I have the card, I love it, it is great. But blogs will write about a hotel and then end saying "if you're thinking of flying United to get to Miami and stay at the Four Points why not apply for the CSP, which is the greatest card ever invented." I get it, Chase pays you for approvals... it just gets old, very quickly. I also take issue when a link is poorer than the best available link found on FT (bloggers have gotten better at posting the best links lately, but some still do not).

As to the second point: Your assumption is that the person applying for the card is 1-flexible in where/when they want to go, and 2-Understands the complexities of booking points/miles related travel. It sounds as if you and I are aware of both 1&2 but I know a lot of people are not. Again in both examples you included you are either buying a second ticket for $$$ or if you use the points for the hotel you are buying at least 1 ticket or maybe 2. Again neither example explains where your wife/gf/mom/friend will get down with you to LA. There are many blogs that make it seem like you can travel for *Free.* When it comes down to it you can dramatically reduce your expenses, but for some people (borderline credit, $0 in the bank, high CC balances) the game will never work. They will end up using the 40,000 points for $400 worth of gift cards and mutter under their breath how they wasted time trying to book flights home for thanksgiving with miles.
I agree (obviously) with your first point that content should not be driven by the desire to sell the affiliate. That's a good point. About your second statement, I honestly don't know a single reasonable person who would expect to get everything for nothing. If you don't have enough miles to fly every member of your family, redeem one ticket and book revenue for the rest of the pack. What's wrong about that? In case of LA you 're still saving about a grand or more. I don't see how it is a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
It is a trap if they only wanted a r/t in the US, could have applied for the USAir instead (40k first purchase), can't take another credit hit, and end up spending money they shouldn't following UR mileage earning "tips" (when either they could have spent much less for the same merchandise or could simply do without).
If you are a blogger, there are dozens of possibilities what to advise to your readers. It might be they would be better off with Southwest or AA rather than US Air or CSP. Who can possibly know everyone's needs? The important thing, however, is even if they are pushing CSP, they are still pushing a great product and not a lame duck. In the end, the blog readers can and should think with their heads too.

Originally Posted by DHAST
Anyway, when someone says "the wife and I want to fly J to XXX in six months" they have their work cut out for them. If that XXX is Europe, your best bet is Citi/AA, but be prepared for fuel surcharges. United is preferable, but good luck getting that many Chase points all at once.
That's not quite accurate. You don't incur any fees on American, only on some partners, and in case of Iberia, the fees are not anything drastic.