FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:50 am
Stubtify

To answer the title of this thread:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/

is easily the best blog. For me it is a bit Chase/UR heavy, but it isn't a nonstop advisement for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. There is also something to be said for one post per day--focusing energy in one quality post instead of other blogs which just throw everything up that is even remotely new. I also enjoy the experimentation that is done, and the reporting back what works and doesn't. It reads like a personal journal more than a tabloid.

I also commend FM's writing at a level above rookie--and for admitting where you've made slip-ups. The blog is unique--unlike so many others which make everything seem simple, and over-emphasize the huge unbelievable value of the $20,000 flight they took for $12.50 and a dozen postage stamps.

Now a rant: it irks me when blogs discuss a signup bonus, or anything really as "Enough points for a Business class flight to London." Really? How do you get home then? I also don't know if the bloggers are mostly single, but not many people travel by themselves for leisure.

I've spoken to people who fall into this trap, they sign up for a card that has a 40,000 point bonus, and ask "where can me and the wife go with that?" and I tell them... nowhere really. Then I do the cleanup and try to help them get more points/miles. But if you read certain blogs they continue to stress that 40,000 points will get you a Business class ticket!