FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Business vs. AMEX Gold
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:05 pm
Bob Herrington

SPG Business vs. AMEX Gold

I was all prepared to apply for a SPG business card and then got a special offer in the mail for AMEX OPEN Business Gold Card. It offers 50,000 pts. after $5000 spent and on the surface sounds like a better deal but I have a few questions:

1) I'm a Realtor -- Will I most likely qualify as a "business" in this program? Is it harder or the same to qualify for AMEX Gold as for SPG?

2) I don't want to end up with too many cards and annual fees. Both my wife and I currently have SPG personal cards and want to keep them (or mayble I'll just keep mine) Can the AMEX Gold be canceled at some point and the points be transfered to my personal account or will I just have to transfer them to an airlines FF account (probably AA).

3) I'm told that this is a "charge card" rather than a credit card. I don't have any experience with them but heard that they act the same way as a credit card except that it's important to pay off at the end of each month(which we do anyway). Are there any other implications I should be aware of? I'm assuming that any merchants that accept an AMEX credit card will also accept a charge card. Is that corrrect?

4) Anything else I should be aware of in making a decision?

Thanks!!