FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 tickets, lax-pvg, pvg-kwl, how much time?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:35 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by chollie
Yeah, still locked into Star, that's the problem. I think I'm going to finish out this year and then try for a status match to OW or shift to ST. I want to do a lot of TPAC travel to Asia next year, and the old 747's just don't cut it, even with E+.
Since you're not using mileage award but a paid ticket, I'm assuming you are just trying to keep earning miles on *A. Only you know if that's a logic that really makes sense, given your situation. Be that as it may, ditch UA and their website + IT, and try to use an independent booking tool(s) to find something on OZ or NH--just make sure it's in a booking class that earns on UA.

Another idea: EVA has some sort of partner agreement with UA where I thought you could also earn miles at least on the long overwater LAX-TPE. They also have a true premium economy product (unlike UA), and their regular economy isn't too far off UA's E+. From TPE, you can get a nonstop to Guilin on China Southern....which has the advantage of a quicker blitz through Chinese immigration and Customs than in PVG. Then hit PVG with a Chinese domestic flight on the way back to TPE to pickup the return. Or route TPE-PVG-KWL and vv on China Eastern. And start accruing those Skyteam miles to another program. Check EVA and see if they are doing any promos--often that LAX-TPE flight has some very competitive fares.