FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 tickets, lax-pvg, pvg-kwl, how much time?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:20 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by drewguy
While those are the stated policies, on a recent trip with my family we were well over the limits, but Air China, China Southern, and Hainan Airlines all let the bags go free. (2 bags showing 26-29kg, and a third was just under 20kg, so even if we got 60 kg as a family we were over). While I'm *G for Air China, I have no status to use with the other airlines.

(note that *G applies only to *G airlines in China, which is Air China only)

That said, YMMV. Also, I believe the fees are [1% of the Y fare*the kg over the limit], which is not a huge amount -- even if the Y fare is $350, unless your bags are huge your fees are going to be less than checking your first bag costs on US domestic flights.
1) Your experience may or may not be repeatable in any specific situation, depends on the flight loading and disposition of the agent you get at check-in. This example can be countervailed by plenty of other anecdotes where people with a lot smaller overweight got hit. A kilo or so might slide through, but I personally would advocate that the traveler try to err on the side of conservatism--and either be prepared to pay extra or thank Lady Luck if your overweight isn't challenged at check-in.

2) (bolded part) Yes, of course one's *G status is only of benefit if flying a * carrier (Air China). Sorry I didn't make that clearer upthread.

3) I think the per kilo overage is 1.5% of the Y fare. So yes, on a domestic ticket for PVG-KWL at RMB 1300 full Y fare, 10 kg of overweight would be about USD 30 which may be acceptable to the traveler.