FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 tickets, lax-pvg, pvg-kwl, how much time?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:35 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by chollie
Thanks for the quick response, jiejie! I was hoping you'd reply.

Didn't even think about the two different airports, but thanks for that. After all the talking, I blame it on UA's IT - there's no reason that a 'Y' in CA has to force the UA legs to book in 'Y', but that's what happened. It prices out at $1200 more that way - too much to ignore.

Yes, that recent UA episode in PVG is in my mind. However, if I get there more or less on time, make my connection to KWL and join my group, I don't care so much if there are delays on the return. I don't know what kind of track record Chinese carriers have on internal flights, but I'll research the other airport to make sure I know my options.

BTW, would you recommend one carrier over another? Any particular unreliable ones? Air China prices look much higher than the others. Do you happen to know if any of them have a reputation for being particularly tough on baggage? (I'm going to be cycling for two weeks, so more stuff than I usually carry).
Wow, I didn't realize from your first post that the Y in CA was forcing the Y in UA! I thought it was just the CA leg you were having trouble with. That really must be UA's IT.

Carriers: stick with a mainline that has multiple flights per day. Avoid Juneyao for that reason (and some other reasons I can think of). Avoid all last flights of the day. Delays caused by weather or ATC will affect all of them equally. They are all pretty much the same on baggage handling and other ground matters. FWIW, I haven't found Chinese baggage handlers to be particularly rough--more damage is done to my stuff by USA handlers. Just pack fragile stuff carefully. Or carry with you if it's something that can pass a checkpoint.

If you are carrying a lot of stuff and are now going to separate tickets, watch out for luggage limitations. On domestic Chinese flights, an economy passenger will be limited to 20 kg (about 44 lbs) of checked bags. The per-kilo extra amount can be very expensive. If you are Star Alliance Gold on any carrier, you get an extra 10 kg. You can also consider a domestic First Class ticket which will allow you 40 kg (I think, maybe moondog can confirm). And in case of IRROPs, probably some special care and handling. Non-discounted Y domestic tickets are also endorseable over to another airline, so in case your plane goes MX and there's another flight on another carrier, you can switch (assuming seat availability).