FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First flight on Air Tran (717) - some questions
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:15 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
First flight on Air Tran (717) - some questions

I've never flown Air Tran before.

A friend gifted me an airline ticket to attend an event she's hosting in Maryland this weekend. Flying GRR-BWI non-stop on a 717 tomorrow & back on Mon.

She 'bought' it using her Amex points. I would have thought that was an award ticket, but it shows a $$ amount & then a cost in points to her to cover the $$ amount. So I'm a bit confused on whether this is a revenue or award ticket.

I ask for a couple of reasons - if it's award presumably I couldn't upgrade to biz class. Also, if there's irrops, does being on award make it more complicated for re-booking?

My understanding is the 717 is an RJ. Does that mean I can gate-check carry-on & thus not pay a baggage fee, or am I required to just check. I haven't looked at the AT site to see what baggage fee is yet.

Also, is it worth paying $$ to get a pre-assigned economy seat or just go w/ the flow since it's a 90-minute flight. I guess the same would apply to biz class - since the flight is so short, it's probably not worth upgrading (if I'm even allowed to given the nature of the ticket). But if I did, is there any food/drink involved?

Is there any advantage to doing on-line check-in, or should I just check in at the airport. GRR is small, although obviously BWI is larger.

Any helpful hints greatly appreciated.

Cheers.