FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United flight cancellation reason
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:47 am
JenF

United flight cancellation reason

Good afternoon everyone,
I posted this on the Air Travel board on Trip Advisor and it was suggested that I also post here, just to cover all bases.

United flight 818 SFO-MSY on July 13 was cancelled (about 30 mins before scheduled departure time). My husband and I were rebooked on the same flight the following night, thus necessitating a night's stay in San Francisco and losing a night's paid accommodation in New Orleans.

At the airport we were told (by three different people) the flight was cancelled due to:

1. A mechanical issue
2. A missing pilot (one can only hope the found him/her!)
3. Weather
so it did seem like United staff weren't entirely sure why the flight had been cancelled.

At the customer service counter we pointed out that we had now been given three reasons for the cancellation and were told that it was not weather-related.

Home again, we are making a claim on our travel insurance for the additional expenses and needed an official comfirmation from United for the cancellation. In what they have sent, they have said that the reason for the cancellation was weather related. This directly contradicts what they told us on the night. (I understand that they don't owe compensation for a weather-related cancellation).

I'm not that bothered since our travel insurance will cover our costs but I am curious to know if there is anywhere that any other cancellation reason may be recorded?

Does anyone know of anywhere? If not, it doesn't matter, I'm really just curious.

The TripAdvisor member who suggested posting here did say that United had found June-July to be rather bad for cancellations and delays (which was evident just watching the boards at SFO).

Thanks.