FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Points Mexico City [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:04 pm
edrags

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Originally Posted by MRMW
I've been searching on recent 411 with regards to this property--especially the quality of the beds, linens, furnishings, noise, bathrooms and degree of smoking ubiquity--as the Roma n'hood in all other respects sound great. Right now we're reserved nine days at the St. Regis Sep 13-22 in an Exec. suite (SPG Gold) averaging out at about $165 with some points and promotions. For such a long trip, however, I prefer to be in a neighborhood rather than solely in a business area. Were we to stay at this property, we would probably spend the first four days during the Fiestas Patria/Independence Day festivities at the St. Regis (an executive suite is an executive suite, after all) then shift to Junior Suite at this Sheraton.

I rarely stay at Four Points domestically--but I'm intrigued by your positive comments. This trip, however, is on the occasion of our 20th anniversary--so your Con's re the street not being so good are very unsettling. Would you not want to walk around here in the evenings? Is the street unsafe, or just, well like 1st Avenue in the East Village circa 1979 before the Hell's Angels clubhouse turned into Condo's?

Too, I hold a hotel up to a higher standard when it's my wife and I than when I'm alone on business. I'm a NYC native and have felt comfortable in Asia and Europe in a variety of cities; and in a past life lived for several months in Manzanillo and San Miguel D'Allende.

Food and markets are a focus of our visit, and probably 80% of the restaurants already scoped out are in Roma/Condesa, with several more in the Centro and one or two outliers in San Angel and Polanco.

It is a very safe neighborhood, but you have to be willing to scratch under the surface a little bit. The area around the Sheraton/ St Regis may feel a little safer because of their proximity to the US embassy, but the neighborhood doesn't have much going for it.

The Colonia Roma area by the Four Points is symbolic of the transformations Meico is going through. In one corner a game of bocce, in another a former taco stand that has branched out into nori rolls. It's what Mexico City at its best is all about. Two blocks from the hotel is an amazing restaurant called Oliva, anchored by an equally amazing hotel called Brick. Just go there for a drink and you will become absorbed by the dynamic vibe of the area.

However, for some people, the area will just feel mildly uncomfortable.