FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bidding for cheap flights ... new site ...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:20 pm
MDtR-Chicago
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rico567
(NB: I have not actually done this yet, so I am only reporting on what was told me. If this thing is on the up and up, and could save me even $50 when I start seeing a price dip, it would be worth all the digging around.)
It's legitimate. I've been responding to offers on and off this week. It seems like the population breaks down roughly -

Passengers:
50% post their contest, respond to a few comments, then completely ignore it and never award (usually the contest is eventually auto-awarded)
25% are very interested, respond quickly, and book immediately
25% have extremely unreasonable expectations for travel - even when the flight options are exactly what they requested, they won't award it because it's not "good enough"

Experts:
50% are of average ability and just post whatever they find with web searches
25% work way too hard to shave off a few dollars (which works out for the passengers)
25% post offers that are extremely shady - like illegitimate websites or high risk connections

Just educated guesses based on what I've seen. As an "expert" it's just barely holding my interest right now. But most of the passengers ARE saving money, even after the finder's fee... assuming their itineraries are actually bookable.

(Note: I haven't actually been paid for anything yet. Will probably request a check next week to see if it works.)

EDIT: At some point around September 2012, I did request a payment and received it promptly. But it's just too much work to be worthwhile (for me, at least).

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jul 18, 2013 at 11:27 am