FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One <32 kg bag vs. two times <23 kg
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:45 am
gnaget

Programs: UA *G MM
Thanks. I guess SAS is now all piece concept if I read their website correctly. If they hold you to the 23 kg limit then they would technically charge you for excess weight. EUR 45 or USD 80. A bit illogical and annoying if you are not checking a second bag...

+20 kg would be nice for me in this case.

They should only ask to repack if it exceeds 32 kg. I think some unionized places refuse to handle heavy bags above 32 kg. ANA provided a nice box recently when this same suitcase weighed over 80 lbs. (Checking one bag in business where the *G allowance is 3 X 32 kg.)

It's interesting that *A rules give one extra piece. Today that's technically one bag with some airlines like UA. But *Gs get three 32 kg bags with UA.

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
On the SAS website, as far as I can see, it just mentions the fact that Eurobonus gold and silver get "an extra piece." Obviously, Star Gold get's additional too, but I've had instances where they treated it as +20kg as stated on the Star Alliance, not caring if one piece weighed more than 23 (From HEL for sure, but I'm reasonably certain it happened at ARN the last time I flew from there intra-europe.) As far as I can remember, I've only been held to the 23 limit and asked to repack when leaving Germany on SAS, but those were also workers who generally deal with Lufthansa-group flights.

So, I *think* you'll be fine, and would suggest also having the star alliance gold benefits page printed out. But perhaps someone here flies from ARN/CPH more often and can give better insight.