FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE-- MR Questions
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:57 pm
braffy

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by vjetti
It's amazing how much everyone knows about this on here! Thanks for the suggestions. Some answers to questions:

- We have about 100k FF on UA, but all from CC so no q miles
- We have 80k or so on Delta and I have 4 q segments

The reason I'm looking to get status on United is because we are flying to DCA-MIA-AUA-MIA-EYW-MIA-DCA in October for our wedding/honeymoon on United. We are also flying DCA-MUC-MAA-DEL-MUC-DCA in December on UA with Lufthansa as the Europe-Asia legs. I would like to get upgraded on those flights if possible. Does it make more sense to just purchase the miles for an upgrade then?
To be frank, in your circumstances (i.e. starting from zero PQMs) it's definitely not worth your while to spend the time and money to MR for status prior to your upcoming flights. If it's really important for you to travel in the front of the plane, you'd be better off looking into using miles and/or cash to upgrade some of those segments.

Even if you would spend the time and money and get 2P or 1P status in the next couple of months, chances are slim that you would get upgrades for too many of your October flights. And you almost surely wouldn't score any upgrades on the international flights in December.

However, assuming that your trips in October and December are all paid flights in 100% mileage earning fare classes, it sounds like you'll have flown upwards of 22K miles in 2012. Although 2P bennies are limited, it might be worth it to do a small MR to get 2P status for next year (assuming that you have more *A travel planned for 2013).