FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: The nude woman in Edinburgh Airport - Would you be offended?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:17 pm
PETER01
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

OT: The nude woman in Edinburgh Airport - Would you be offended?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-19177968

Having read this on the BBC news would anyone here complain about it being on display at the Airport?

It is art, by arguably one of the world's finest artists, and it is on public display anyhow. I personally cannot see why folks would make a complaint but everyone has different views on these things I suppose.

So what do folks think?

Edinburgh Airport in Picasso nude complaints U-turn

Edinburgh Airport has u-turned on its decision to cover up a poster featuring a Picasso nude following complaints.

Nude Woman in a Red Armchair was advertising the Picasso and Modern British Art exhibition at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

However, the airport decided to cover the image after several complaints from passengers in international departures.

After gallery chiefs branded the move "bizarre", the airport has backed down and removed the cover.

The Picasso and Modern British Art exhibition runs until 4 November.

John Leighton, director-general of the National Galleries of Scotland, said: "It is obviously bizarre that all kinds of images of women in various states of dress and undress can be used in contemporary advertising without comment, but somehow a painted nude by one of the world's most famous artists is found to be disturbing and has to be removed.

"I hope that the public will come and see the real thing, which is a joyous and affectionate portrait of one of Picasso's favourite models, an image that has been shown around the world."

An Edinburgh Airport spokesperson said: "We have now reviewed our original decision and reinstated the image.

"The initial decision was a reaction to passenger feedback, which we do always take seriously.

"However on reflection we are more than happy to display the image in the terminal and we'd like to apologise, particularly to the exhibition organisers, for the confusion."