FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A pat down that ended my wife up in the ER
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:07 pm
transparent

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Wow, don't even know where to start. Posts like yours remind me why it's not just the ignorant that allow these abuses and ineffectual, wasteful, and damaging procedures to continue.

Originally Posted by rico567
1. Taking this discussion to extremes, Godwinning, etc. helps NO ONE. Not the individual affected in the OP, NO ONE. Making statements in forums like this that "I think we can all agree......" are ridiculous. No, we can't all agree on the basis of a thread, at least I can't.
For someone that just made this comment, it's ironic that your subsequent comments based on your opinion and limited experience are made in a way that suggests fact.

3. As far as our experience (we usually travel by air twice a year or so, and have for around 15 years), we've never seen, heard of, or had anyone in an airport mention any problem with security.
Glad that you think your 2x a year travel qualifies you to determine whether there are problems with airport security. For those of us who (for better or worse) must travel much more frequently for work (try 80+ times a year), the experience is very likely to be different.

4. A while ago, I read a lengthy thread (not on Flyer Talk) about the alleged abuses of the TSA, and consulted with my brother about this. He has worked for the TSA (at a major airport which will not be named) since about a year after its inception. While he has heard some second or third-hand stories, neither he nor his wife (who also works for TSA in the same airport) has ever been involved in an incident where a passenger evidenced discomfort with the process, or complained about the process.
With respect, your brother nor his wife are on the other side. How can they know if passengers experienced discomfort? For every one complaint there are probably dozens more that were just too afraid, or not sure how to lodge a complaint.

5. No system is perfect. The TSA was instantly brought into being post-9/11, and for very good reasons. I want them there, and I want them to do their job. They are still finding guns in people's carryons after 11 years, folks. Are there going to be abuses? Yes, and stating that these things shouldn't happen ignores that reality. Our system of law guarantees redress of grievances, and those abuses should be pursued by the persons affected. The rest of us can't do anything. A basic rule of our law system, since the year one, involves "standing to sue." If we personally have not been injured or affected, the court will simply rule that we have no "standing to sue." And the vast majority of people who have a legitimate complaint....never do anything about it. This guarantees the abuses will go unchecked. So- the OP should by all means pursue every avenue open to them. The rest of us should move on.
This is by far the weakest argument. "No system is perfect" so we should allow a system that is designed to infringe on constitutional rights to continue? We should allow taxpayer money to continue to be spent on machines that don't accomplish jack squat? We should just stand by because we have no standing to sue?

Who said a lawsuit was the only way to effect change? The rest of us standing by because we weren't the direct victim is exactly what allowed other atrocities throughout history to be perpetrated. (and I by no means intend to trivialize past atrocities--but this is where it starts)

Also tell people who were unlawfully detained or locked up in Guantanamo that our system of law guarantees redress of grievances.