FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motion Passed: Create a Korea Forum
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:39 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by skchin
FT too started with a humble beginning with only small attractions from the start. However, after over a decade of knowledge stored in this website, tens of thousands people flock here. You definitely come here for something, in Asia Forum for something.
FT has grown and changed over the years. FTers' demand is what maintains existing fora, and FT traffic justifies creation of new ones. If you failed to notice, koko hasn't been successful in selling a Men's Forum on FT.

As to why and how I participate in Asia Forum is OT for the motion at hand. Simply put, I consider my posts in Asia Forum a form of giving back to FT.

FWIW, quite a few business travelers came to FT and stay comfortably in the airline fora of their preference. They have close to zero desire to engage in discussion over destination fora. Speaking from my personal experience, I know quite a few FTers who are very knowledgeable about my home country but hardly ever post in Asia Forum about it, let alone answering (destination) questions. Yet, you'll find their posts in airline fora easily.

When there is a product with a value - which South Korea definitely has with over 9 million tourists each year and 15th ranked GDP economy - will only benefit more business and travelers alike to visit FT.
(underline mine)

Rather than "visit FT", don't you mean "to visit South Korea?"

Tourism Stats:
According to "wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings"...
In the Asia and the Pacific region, South Korea had the 7th most tourist arrival in the region, with 9.6 Million people in 2011. Ranking above India with 6.29 million and Japan with 6.22 million tourists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings
From the same Wikipedia reference, Malaysia outranks South Korea with 24.7 million international tourist arrivals in 2011. I don't see Malaysia discussion threads outnumber Korea ones in Asia Forum though.

I am also not sure how many of those 9 million South Korea tourists did know about FT, let alone visiting FT. Those numbers might be one indicator of business and leisure travelers to visit South Korea. Whether it can be translated directly into FT traffic, that's the question!

My question remains: "Have things changed significantly on FT w/r/t destination Korea since 2009?"