FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Airline Programs for Business Travel (from Chicago)
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:37 pm
XLR26

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by BenH
I apologize if this is the wrong thread. I'm a new member and I couldn't find the most appropriate forum. This could be considered a Miles/Points question, or a general FF question. I didn't want to post in a specific Airline FF (like AA) because I wanted a more objective opinion.

Please move this thread if a more appropriate forum is necessary. I figure you all probably go to multiple threads and most of you are seasoned travelers in addition to Credit Card gurus. Also if this has already been discussed and you can point me to any specific threads I would appreciate it. Searching on these terms has been all over the place...

My home base is Chicago - and I will be starting to do a lot of travel for work (~50%). I tended in the past to favor American when contracting for business travel. I am curious as to what thoughts are now with AA's bankruptcy situation.

Do you think it is smart to avoid AA and get started with United? Or that anything I earn with AA will likely be honored by another airline should they merge? I would expect O'Hare to continue to be a major hub.

Especially for those of you who fly AA and United, and even more so those who do a lot of travel to/through O'Hare might have the best opinions.

Thanks!
I highly doubt that if AA is acquired by US that the AA miles wouldn't carryover.

If AA worked well for you in the past and your travel pattern isn't going to change then I don't see any reason to switch. Plus, IMO, UA has been somewhat of a cluster this year with the merger.

Another option is that if you really fly a lot, you could split your travel between both UA and AA and get status on both. This, of course, has its own set of +/-s.