FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ZRH-SFO F/J awards question
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:23 pm
SFOTurtle

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Paulchili
I certainly agree with you about not wanting to connect in IAD or JFK - I want the T/A long flight to be in one segment (be it from FRA or LHR).
I am not as much concerned about the walking part (though I understand your point of view) - I am more concerned about having a good F or J seat on that long flight.
Of course, if an LX J award ZRH-SFO would be more of a reality instead of just a dream, that would be best
If you're flying F, then it isn't too hard to find space on either FRA-SFO or LHR-SFO. C award space is much, much harder to find, especially on FRA-SFO.

In terms of the seat, F on the old 777 is still a suite, although not as nice as new F and the old F suites are pretty worn and beaten up. C is the big difference, with lie flat on new 777s and barcalounger/cradle seats on the old 777. Lots of folks steer away from the LHR flight because of the risk of getting the old C seats.

If you had status and flexibility to make changes close in time without paying change fees, the best option is of course the nonstop on LX from ZRH-SFO. LX doesn't usually release award space in C or F until very close to departure dates, sometimes only a day or two in advance, or never. If it were me, even if I didn't have status I think the change fee would be well worth it if LX opened up C or F space on the flight I wanted.