FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When Mr. Marriott's Office Agrees Customer Service is Poor and Can't Help...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:46 pm
BHMFlier

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, Hilton Gold
When Mr. Marriott's Office Agrees Customer Service is Poor and Can't Help...

Looking for a bit of advice here. I apologize for the long missive...

My family and I recenty completed a 5 night stay at the Fairfield Inn in Olive Branch, MS. The entire stay was a customer service nightmare. We had an dispute over the room rate as soon as we arrived to which the general manager of the property refused to speak with my wife or me. This prompted a call to Marriott customer care who suggested that because of the franchised-nature of Fairfield Inns that I needed to go through the appropriate channels for customer service including speaking with the the general manager first. Which on the second request on the second day of our stay, was refused twice (again) by the front desk clerk.

Secondly, we were travelling with a youth baseball team. Keep in mind this is a property that has soccer and baseball practice fields on site, advertises their proximity to major sports complexes on their website and had asked to be included in the official hotels of a large baseball tournament my son's team was playing in nearby. Yet, on check in we were provided with a list of do's and do nots and the entire time we were at the hotel, the staff treated the parents and children like third-class citizens who had no right to be staying at the property.

At this point, I'm getting extremely upset at the property. I finally get to speak with the general manager, on the phone not in person, and she tells me that the Fairfield satisfaction guarantee does not apply to me because, in her opinion, I entered my stay at her property with a negative attitude about the stay which is utterly untrue. I go back through Marriott customer care and am told that the hotel is not responding to their requests to address this situation and it is being escalated to Mr. Marriott's office for resolution.

I speak with Mr. Marriott's office and am told that the way my family and the other families in our group were treated is absolutely not in accord with Marriott values and they will be taking the issues up with the general manager at the property and that they WILL get the issue resolved. Two days ago, I get a call back from Mr. Marriott's office telling me that although they are sorry for the problems I had and agree that action needed to be taken that the property GM refused to adjust our rate, etc. and the best they can do is to issue Marriott points equivalent to one night's stay in a property such as this Fairfield Inn.

As a frequent business traveller who stays in hotels a significant number of nights per year, I have NEVER been treated to or talked to in the way this property dealt with our team and parents. Likewise, in 60+ hotel nights already this year, I have had only one other complaint to a hotel so I am not a frequent whiner or a 'do you know who I am type person'. I'm appealing to those of you who stay with Marriott more often to see if this sounds like appropriate compensation for the problems we had and if there are other avenues open to us at this point? Furthermore, does anyone happen to know who the franchise owner/property manager for the Fairfield Inn in Olive Branch, MS would be and have contact information for them? (Although it's printed on a plaque in the hotel lobby, I've lost my paper with the information and the hotel refuses to tell me who their operator is when I call)

Thanks in advance!