FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG American Express [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:28 pm
mtbmtb01

Originally Posted by cjzhang2000
I am still hoping for the 30K business, since I missed last year. Any news?
they seem to be hinting at it at Frequent Miler but no one really knows.
from http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance/...umors/805229/1

Million Mile Secrets
In June, Daraius, from Million Mile Secrets, wrote about “ Visiting the Banks in New York”. In that post, he gave some hints as to what we should expect regarding credit card offers. First, he told us about general trends we will see:

We’re also going to see offers which require higher spending to get the full sign-on bonus (think Chase British Airways & Chase Ink Bold), offers which require you to hold the card for a second year (think 60,000 point Citi Thank You Premier), limited time offers to persuade folks to sign-up immediately (AMEX Business Gold and Platinum), and cards which offer a benefit which makes the card worth keeping after the 1st year (think free bags or free hotel nights with certain cards).

Then, he dropped a couple of bomb-shells:

There may be a new business credit card (as opposed to their current charge card) coming out soon in Q3 (July to September) with a decent sign-on bonus from a bank which offers the boldest business cards in the market.

And:

If a credit card had a history of increasing the sign-up bonuses during a certain period, that pattern may be repeated again – as early as this summer.

Increased SPG Bonus
Last year, in late July and through most of August, Amex increased the usual signup bonus for the SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) card from 25K to 30K. I think Daraius’ comment about a summer promotion being repeated is this one. It may not sound like a huge bump, but SPG points are really valuable so it’s pretty exciting to me. If this happens and you signup for both the business and personal versions of the card, you will earn 60,000 SPG points. When you add in points earned when using the card, it won’t be long before you can take an all expense paid vacation with a redemption like Starwood’s Night’s and Flights. With this option, you can redeem 60,000 Starpoints to get 5 nights in a category 3 hotel and you’ll get 50,000 airline miles to cover your flight! Or, redeem 70,000 Starpoints for 5 nights in a category 4 hotel and 50,000 miles. This is just one example of the many great redemption options available through SPG.