FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More or less space with handle on the outside???
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:57 pm
Mellonc

Originally Posted by oshelef
the only question is do you put the "bottom" above the mechanisms, or below? Since we started with the same box the external space is the same. And the space difference is obvious. The only variable that might be different is if B&R designs the mechanism differently because it is on the outside.
I am not quite following your comment on this one. I think what you mean is that the variable that Briggs has in this equation is simply the determination of internal or external handles....

I agree with that. The only point I am making is that (after considerable thinking during a long and arduous newspaper reading on the throne) there is actually some wasted space on the bottom of the bag from my drawing number one. Clearly the protruding wheels make one end deeper than the other end. I think Briggs is basically saying ...... we'll just fill up the void left by the difference in depth with the handle mechanism outside. And with that, they have a horizontal bottom and top when bag sits in a bin, which then leads to better utilization of the space given to each passenger.

----------------------

I also aware about the usage of balls to figure out total space. Because of the assumptions about the 1 inch protrusions with handle mechanisms and whatnot, the 3/4 inch balls will not fit very well next to these internal "protrusions" unless the diameters of the balls were considerably smaller than 1 inch. Another reason why I think Im starting to drink Briggs' Cool Aid..... after getting off the throne, of course.....