FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Club, another change that I think you'll like (d/credit for prem. bar drinks)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:06 pm
Chrisinhouston

Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
Maybe it won't cut down on tips.
Here in NYC, cab drivers have found that average tips are larger when passengers pay by credit card.

I don't really see it as being customer unfriendly. It seems pretty consistent with trends toward credit cards over cash. It's already old news on aircraft.
Funny but I mostly use cabs while abroad and often in countries where cabbie tipping isn't done or expected which I kind of like as I have rarely had a cab ride in the USA that the driver went out of his way to get a tip!

That being said, I think this will have a negative effect on the U Club bartenders tips, at least at first. I am much more prone to tip with cash when getting a drink when the service is good even if I use a CC because the tip jar is right there in front of me! But that is just me, and I admit I have a daughter who is a server so I think of her! I guess I will adjust.

Business travelers might expense a drink at the club but not want to add a tip as it raises the bar for expenses.

Not suggesting anyone cheat the IRS but cash tips are not always declared as income and CC ones are.

Many establishments do not tip out staff on a daily basis, some do it on a weekly or monthly one so the staff may have less change in their pockets at the end of the day.

Some establishments take a percentage of the tips. Not sure what the policy is for U Club employees.

I would imagine that the U Club bar staff pools tips with others in the service end of the club like the busing staff and cleaning staff.