FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can FTers help 11-year-old Joe Thompson who can't fly home?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:26 am
roberino

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by peachfront
... he is not, in fact, sedated but rather tranquilized. "Sedated" would be if he's out and being brought in on a gurney, unaware of what is happening, thus unable to freak out. Properly sedated, we allow surgeons to cut into us with knives, there's no way a properly sedated person can't be flown somewhere. It's probably just a matter of price.
You're talking about fully anaesthetising him? 8 hours of GA requires the full attention of a trained anaesthetist in an operating theatre with the assistance of life monitoring equipment. Doing it without the proper supervision can result in death, as in the case of one Mr M Jackson. I don't know any anaesthetist that would sign up to do this as the risk of getting sued would be way too high. I'm not entirely sure it would even be legal if the boy is not suffering from any condition that actually requires anaesthesia, by which I mean, he is in good health when not on a plane.

Oh, and in maintaining my life-long role as Pedant-In-Chief; the fear of flying is aviatophobia, not aerophobia.

Aerophobia is a fear of drafts.

Surely the easiest way is to pass through Saudi into Israel and get on a ship heading for Marseilles? Unless that border isn't open (Saudi/Israel)?

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 30, 2012 at 7:42 am Reason: Merged poster's three consecutive posts