FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:16 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air Fryer

Not sure I could get on with the actifry in the way I do with the Philips airfryer.
Have never regretted our decision to purchase it and we use it nearly daily.

So long as you select small eggplants, after a 5 minute warm up time (the time spent rinsing and piercing the aubergines) the eggplants just take 20 minutes to cook and char. One just slides the flesh into a food processor with the other ingredients and that's baba ganoush within 30 minutes.
This is something we eat regularly now which we didn't before.

The other food this device has added to our diet is polenta, or rather, amazingly crispy and succulent polenta chips. Perhaps the most sinful seeming healthfood I've ever eaten.
No fat, low GI, and possibly the best and most satisfying alternative to chips I've ever come across.
You just make your polenta the usual way, pour it into a receptacle to cool, then turn it out, slice and stick it in the airfryer at the highest setting for 12-15 minutes. Not necessary to brush it with oil as it will crisp up anyway.
You can add cheese to the polenta in the pan to make it taste more decadent, I like to add a chopped clove of garlic to a single spoon of olive oil and let it go golden before adding the boiling water, salt and polenta for a rich taste.
To make these into an even more nutritious snack for my toddler (who adores these polenta chips) I add a couple of tablespoons of okara to the corn polenta. Okara is what you get left with when making tofu and soy milk. It's very good for you.