FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tricky Business Saver awards - ok for full redemption , unavailable for upgrade?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:39 am
jeffrysky

Programs: QR Gold, TK*G, A3*G
Tricky Business Saver awards - ok for full redemption , unavailable for upgrade?

Hi guys, just relating an extremely frustrating experience ..

I was intending to redeem a Business Saver upgrade to a full-fare (E) Economy Class tic SIN-HKG-SIN .. I did remember that the upgrade availability and full award redemption availability come from the same redemption bucket - I checked that Business Saver award redemption was available on both A380 flights outbound and return from HKG. Assuming this meant Business Saver upgrade would naturally be available as well, I went ahead to book my tics in full-fare economy.

When attempting to upgrade online, I noted to my surprise that the Saver upgrade option was not available. After being placed on hold for 1/2 hour(the usual )on SQ's 24hr hotline, I was advised that the availability buckets are different for Business Saver upgrade and Business Saver full redemption.

Well this is quite contrary to what I had earlier known. Perhaps the safest way is to call the airline prior to making that full-fare economy class booking.