FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz PlatePass (General Discussion) Thread [New Charge Policy, Eff. Feb 2018]
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:22 pm
jasonvr

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aviator4512
Platepass has replaced the clunky transponder boxes on all of the newer issued vehicles although there is a problem with this. I was in New York and getting on the Throg's Neck Bridge which has EZ Pass lanes, but they have a swing arm gate to prevent people from just driving through without paying. I drove into the EZ Pass lane and expected the arm to lift, but of course it didn't. At this point, I had pissed off drivers stacking up behind me (mind you I had a Massachusetts license plate in NY) so everyone started honking. I managed to call over a transit policeman and pay in cash, although I rarely carry a ton of cash (toll is $6.50 each way) but I can foresee this being an issue for Hertz renters at some toll booths. The bottom line is I rarely carry more than $20 on me in cash because I use my cards everywhere so I will have to be prepared next time, but Hertz needs to think their strategy over or there will be other people like me stuck in a jam.
You say they replaced them, but with what? Is there still a transponder? Did the vehicle say it was PlatePass enrolled? If so, I don't understand why the gate didn't go up.