FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points / Stay Credit Eligibility for Third Party Bookings
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:37 am
perplexed

Eligibility query...

Thanks for the welcome and for the reply.

Based on your reply, I seem to be a textbook example of the Hyatt woes. My query arises out of a recent almost 3 week stay so although I am now "in the know" for the future (should I decide there will be one in my burgeoning Hyatt relationship, which I doubt), being in that know doesn't help me for the past.

In brief:

- Two previous stays to the stay in question - one at the same hotel - were booked in exactly the same way (online agency, not Hyatt) but at the same rate offered by Hyatt.

- Both previous stays were credited so based on that and my reading of the Gold Passport T&C, I booked the latest long stay in the same way. That stay would have given me not only base points but also significant bonus points and a status upgrade.

- This latest stay was not however credited and Hyatt are refusing to credit it.

- When I queried this, Hyatt reverted with the line that the first two stays were credited in error. Even though I have pressed them, sent my detailed reasoning and escalated my query to near enough "the top", nobody has been able to tell me why (i.e. how they justify the refusal with specific reference to the T&C). The best I seem to get is "it's because of the because reason"...

I am really unhappy as had they not made their initial "errors", I would not have booked the stay in the way I did. I did not pay less doing so. Ultimately and as the T&C require, I have paid a hotel published room rate, I paid personally (nothing in the T&C require me to pay Hyatt direct) and I was the registered guest.

I would appreciate it if someone at Hyatt could explain to me precisely where I have gone wrong - either in my interpretation of the T&C or in my thinking that since I was misled by Hyatt's "error" into booking the same hotel in the same way as a previously credited stay, this stay (but no future stays) should also be fully credited. So far they have not been able to do that because - I think - they can't. From your reply, it seems there is a theme here...

This kind of stonewalling - at times downright rude - approach in the face of a clear problem (that you too describe) shows (at best) a dismissiveness that has put me off. The T&C do not need to be so murky. Since Hyatt know they are, this suggests they are deliberately so, so they can pick and choose how each situation is dealt with.

As most of us do, I belong to other much better/consistent hotel programs with just as good and sometimes better hotels (I have found the quality and consistency in Hyatt's of equivalent "brand" can vary considerably), whose terms are clear so I know precisely when I will earn and when I won't. Such transparency wins over every time.