FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska takes over North Satellite at SEA
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:36 pm
golfingboy
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by sxf24
One thing to keep in mind when comparing SC to BR is that many SC support long-haul international flights. Business class passengers are critical to supporting better lounges. I would be surprised to see the BR get showers, since the additional cost (yes, there is significant additional cost) wouldn't necessarily be covered by AS' network and membership.
Agreed, but AS is a codeshare "whore", so I'd bet they see tons of paid F/C passengers connecting onto an AS flight in SEA. What about those customers? I don't think DL customers want to go to the SC in concourse S to shower, where they will have to take the train back after clearing customs, and then have to haul all the way to N before their connecting AS flight in F.

This is why I think the SEA BR should have showers. LAX/PDX/ANC not so much, because there is significantly less connecting international premium customers to justify the cost of including showers.

It costs a fortune to add them to an existing club, but I cannot imagine it would cost that much more when building an entirely new lounge. They will have to pay a fortune for plumbing construction if they are going to install bathrooms in the new BR. That is the biggest cost with adding a shower, but it won't sting a lot if they include showers from the get-go. This is why showers are almost always in the same area as the bathroom [either right next to it or right across the hallway]