FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points / Stay Credit Eligibility for Third Party Bookings
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:31 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by perplexed
I have a question that Hyatt's customer service policy response doesn't answer. Can anyone help.

As is clear from their posts, Hyatt take the view that the only bookings that are eligible for points are those made through Hyatt direct and that no third party booking will ever be eligible. Other hotel programs have the same policy (e.g. Hilton). The difference (in my view) between those and Hyatt though, is that the formers' T&C's say that clearly (e.g. Hilton's T&C leave you with no doubt about what is eligible).

I don't think Hyatt's T&C are so clear/beyond doubt. On my reading of them, Hyatt's T&C's determine eligibility based on the rate paid, wherever that rate is found, and not on how the booking is made (look at the wording used, like "including but not limited to"). That is, provided the rate paid is not a discounted rate but any hotel published rate, then wherever that rate was found should be irrelevant.

Has anyone out there ever looked at the detail of the eligibility clause in the Hyatt T&C and if so, what do you think it says (i.e. do you agree that it says what Hyatt says)?

Or has anyone out there had a stay not booked through Hyatt credited to their account?
The terms and Conditions for many aspects of Hyatt have always been murky and has had many gray areas
Just look historically into the Hyatt Gift certificates dilemma that many of us struggled to interpret some time ago.
When hard pressed not even senior management at Hyatt could come up with exact answers who had been with the company many years.

One of the pleasures I get from this forum is helping others translate the language of Hyatt or elsewhere and help determine what they are trying to say
Unfortunately sometimes there aren’t crystal clear answers.Its not always limited to Hyatt but more frequently seems to be
As great as a company as Hyatt is we have to accept it or walk away.
Sometimes Hyatt gives up on trying to understand what its saying or gives vague answers rather than say we don’t know what we are really saying.
In the end it’s the lawyers and folks that write all this stuff that can confuse us all.

Essentially my suggestion to make life easier for you based on the question which nobody will easily be able to answer would be this.
If it’s booked through global distribution system that’s a public rate which is almost always eligible not limited to
Hyatt directly by phone or internet reservations overall you are probably fine.
That means an eligible rate in which you are paying for directly at the hotel and out of your own personal pocket
Anything else that you might receive credit for from a 3rd party or opaque site would be considered an accident/mistake in your account.
When in doubt call the hotel directly and Gold Passport and take names if you have any doubts.
We as Hyatt Ambassdors are always here to assist as well should we be able to be of service
As well as our global community who I personally thank for their participation as well
Hope this sheds some light on the question

Happy travels and many miles and points!
And did I say a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the Hyatt Forum ^
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm