FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Terravision bus FCO-Roma Termini
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:09 pm
bdemaria
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mary_228
The feedback is to take the taxi. Can the official Rome taxis that comply with the fixed rate plan from the airport to our hotel accomodate four passengers plus four suitcases? Three of the cases are 26".

I don't want to get taken advantage of the first transaction in Rome. Are there extra charges I will be required to pay? I received this reply to the question of taxi capacity on Trip Advisor:

"the new law is the N. 161 of the 30.05.2012
and here is the fixed rate:
Fiumicino - Mura Aureliane: € 48,00.

every passenger can carry one bag with no extra; every luggages more than cm 35x25x50 (except the first one) have a € 1,00 of extracharge... just to be sure you may call them at 3570 or 6645 or 060609 (remember the 0039 for italy)."
So I would have to pay extra for some of the bags? But can the taxi hold this luggage remains to be answered.
W/that many people and bags, you should arrange a car service, rather than a taxi b/c no, not all taxis will be able to accommodate a party this size w/large bags. In addition, this means that upon your arrival a car will be waiting for you, rather than having to wait in a taxi line. You might find Ron in Rome's overview more informative than that available on tripadvisor.

As for the add'l baggage fees: you get 1 piece of luggage per passenger, so if you have a large suitcase and a carryon sized rollaboard suitcase, then yes you will be charged 1EU for the 2nd bag. You wouldn't be charged for a purse or small item.

Finally, why the belief that you be "taken advantage of" by a taxi driver. Could it happen? Sure, just like it could happen in New York, Chicago or LA. However, there is no reason to assume that all of the Roman cab drivers are out to 'rip off' tourists.