FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London 2012: international media find grumbling Britons conform to type
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:53 am
Christopher

Originally Posted by teflon
We're not that bad, are we?
I'd say yes – or at least the British press and media are. Reading the papers, all one seems to see are dire predictions about traffic gridlock, public transport not coping, disastrous delays at Heathrow, buses taking national teams to their quarters getting lost, taxi drivers grumbling, problems about Olympic tickets, problems over supposedly improper use of the Olympic logos, end of civilisation as we know it approaching, and so on.

While all of these things (except possibly the last) are no doubt happening, we never seem to hear about any of the good things, or the excitement of the athletes or of the spectators who are arriving from around the world or from other parts of the UK. People I know are moderately excited (although I would certainly accept that the feelings are much more muted than they were in the run-up to the Queen's Jubilee in June). I suppose it remains to be seen how interested people here become in the Games once they start.