FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS frequent flyer miles to Australia/NZ
View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:19 am
BarryAZ

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Interesting, my experience has been that trying to match to Delta is a frustrating exercise for both the user and the service rep. Just for the heck of it I tried nearly all the 5 week splits between outbound and return between March and the last available return date -- all got me error code 1300. I think, absent some status and a bit of extra push, the number of business executive seats available with Delta on that route is a single digit number less than 1. It isn't that the seats are booked, rather that Delta doesn't release them absent some arm twisting. I guess when the time comes, I'll mention that option if the other options fail. I am guessing that Delta premium seat availability is much like Qantas -- as in, not on offer.

Originally Posted by mthoodfan
I see it wasn't listed as one of your options, but have you considered DL? I understand that you couldn't open jaw the ticket, but you could do PHX-LAX-SYD all on one reservation. I have used AS miles twice to get to SYD in business (once during a "sale," so the ticket was 102,500 miles) and have been impressed by the DL product on this route. I find their seats to be comfortable and everyone has direct access to an aisle. My last trip I used miles to get to SYD and then purchased a separate RT Business Class ticket on LanChile (SYD-AKL), which gave me some more AS elite-qualifying miles.