FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS frequent flyer miles to Australia/NZ
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 pm
BarryAZ

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Thanks for that response and the research. You've confirmed my sense that Air Pacific and Cathay Air will be more likely to have miles. The thing about Air Pacific -- their business class seats (at least currently) are not full sleepers. Now they are looking to get A330-200 in service next year and those might be configured for sleepers -- but with them it is always layover in Fiji (I figured it would be a lemonade out of lemons to include a three day layover on the return flight).

With Cathay Pacific -- yes it is a long way around -- LA/Hong Kong/Brisbane and then Auckland/Hong Kong/LA -- but I figure their business class seats and service might actually get us into Brisbane outbound and LA return more rested anyway.

I realize that AS might well be able to find a routing using AS from Phoenix -- but it would add yet another flight to the mix and getting to LA is not expensive nor a problem for us in Phoenix (heck we could fly southwest and have no baggage fees).

As to the Australia/NZ leg -- I will have the miles for that in time (say 8 months before we fly) or will simply go out of pocket for that -- I think will provide more flexibility as it seems business class long haul award flights on Qantas are VERY scarce.

And as to the timing -- I plan to be 'on the horn' with AS as soon as I get to the 350 day window for the outbound leg. I know (at least from past dealings with AS) that they allow that with the return leg 'in air' until its 350 day window shows up. We did that two years ago with flights from Phoenix to Athens and then back from Tel Aviv to Phoenix using British Airways (direct flight from Phoenix to London).

Lastly, for the return flight, frankly I figure to overnight at a hotel in LA before flying back to Phoenix (at least with Cathay Air as their arrival from Hong Kong is late enough - especially given customs/immigration on entry.

Thanks again for the research.

Again, this is distance planning for sure (8 months away from starting to arrange flights). I figure to have the miles a few months before that window opens anyway.

Originally Posted by evoG
qantas and air pacific would save you some time with more direct routings and their business class redemptions are 10k miles less.

Partner desk has told me that on a QF award, you can have a stopover in BNE, MEL, SYD, or AKL, so you may be able to get your full itinerary on one AS redemption, all in business. AS may be able to get you to LAX for free, though you'd have to go through PDX/SEA.

EX: LAX-BNE/MEL/SYD(stopover)-AKL(destination)-SYD-LAX

you may have to start making your reservation 350 days in advance to find avaialbility for 2 people. AS lets you hold these far away (330+ days) reservations for up to 30 days without ticketing. I doubt you'll be able to find space for more than 2 people on the same flights.

If you won't have the miles to book your trip until a few months prior to travel, you may have to go with air pacific or CX which have better availability. Browse QF's award search tool to get a feel for how good your odds are of finding something a couple of months in advance. The partner desk can do all the work for you, but it can be nice to look at your options ahead of time.