FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Addiction to travel, travel writing and everything in between.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:28 pm
Zoui21

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Part 8.Arriving in Economy... But the class carries on!
July 3rd, 2012
Washington Dulles – LaGuardia
UA Economy Class
United Airlines Embraer ERJ-145

I arrived a bit too early, so boarding had yet to start. I sat down next to this peaceful-looking Indonesian old man. I kept quiet as he seemed to be taking in his surroundings, however he turned to me and asked “So are you going to “can’t remember his destination” as well?” It seemed that both our flights were leaving from different areas of A1, so I told him that I was actually flying to New York. This seemed to dishearten him. I asked him where he was from, but now that he knew I wasn’t on his flight, he didn’t seem interested and replied that it was Indonesia. I knew he didn’t want to talk anymore as he didn’t ask me where I was from. So we just sat there in silence until flight UA 6137 to LGA was called for boarding. As my still-premier Zone 1 access was called I stood up from my seat, waved goodbye to the old man and walked through the insanely hot walkway to the Embraer ERJ-145.

The little plane taking me on this final leg home. A quick side-view

The windows in the plane were closed and the AC was blasting as otherwise the plane would be boiling after standing in 30 degree weather for so long. A very friendly flight attendant greeted me and showed me where seat 2A was. The ERJ-145 has a really interesting configuration, in that it is 1-2. Travelling alone, I obviously chose the 1 side.

I really liked that our flight attendant was very talkative, she also had a good sense of humour. Some people prefer to have flight attendants do their job efficiently and quietly, I think that someone who travels around so much is bound to have some interesting stories for you, so ask around!

Our plane was ready in time for the 12:40 departure, however we taxied for about 15 minutes and then our pilot told us that ATC was parking us for another 15 minutes before we could lift off. As it turned out, the flight would only be 45 minutes, so even with the delay we would be in LGA early.

The woman sitting in 1A was chatting to the FA, I was thinking of joining in the conversation, but decided instead to clear up my facebook and take a picture of my legroom in economy, just to compare to my friends and family how great of an opportunity flying business class was.

After flying business... can this even be considered as seating? At least I’m only 5”10 ^

After 15 minutes on the ground, the tiny engines of the ERJ took us to the runway and lifted us in the air. Since it was such a short flight, there was no proper drink service, just water or a soda on request. I managed without one as I was enthralled by the land we were speeding past below.

A shot of my IFE for the final 45 minutes

About 5 minutes before our flight landed into LGA, I managed to snap some awesome skyline shots of New York, a great reason to fly into LGA rather than EWR or JFK. I wasn’t even sure this was New York I was taking pictures of, as the tallest building wasn’t the Empire State. I later remembered that this would be the new World Trade Center building.

Some better-quality-than-before plane-shots of the NYC skyline

The landing was smooth and my luggage came out quickly. A great end to an awesome trip.