FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Addiction to travel, travel writing and everything in between.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:11 pm
Zoui21

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Part 5.An Early Lunch Over The Atlantic
July 3rd, 2012
UA 923 around 9:30am at Destination

I woke up when the stewardess was tapping my shoulder to awake me from my nap, as per my request right before the breakfast service started. I feel the need to say, that it was the best rest I had had in the past 2-3 months, even though it was only about 4 hours long.

The whole tray fiasco was repeated again, but still better than Economy! The salad was very good, I went with the vinaigrette option. I wish there was no cherries, as they added a strange texture, but I just ate around them. I actually avoided the chilled appetizer as I’m allergic to seafood such as shrimp and am not a huge fan of uncooked salmon, but my neighbor seemed to show it was very good, so I’ll put that as my review of it. Maybe one day, when my palette develops a bit more, and my allergy becomes less severe, I’ll try the whole shazam for the sake of reviewing and maybe it’ll open up a whole new culinary world for me.

The surprisingly good salad, and uneaten appetiser. I was regretting that I didn’t ask for a pretzel roll!

As things go, we were served our main courses. I ordered the steak, definitely sub-par compared to the other dish I was contemplating of ordering. How do I know this? Well, because the flight attendants accidentally served my neighbor the Tandoori Breast of Chicken, rather than his ordered Indian-spiced Shrimp, when pointed out, they quickly corrected their mistake, but I already knew I chose the wrong thing.

The unfortunate steak dish

Even though I wasn’t happy with my choice of food, it was still edible. I found that the steak and mushrooms turned out to be on par, however the potatoes and vegetable had a very bland taste, which made them quite un-appetising. I made a note to myself that next time I fly, I’ll try to do something that isn’t steak for the sake of differentiating.

The ice cream and cheese however made a perfect finish for the meal, although more than two crackers for the cheese would have been nice! This little “finish” of the meal made up for all the flaws discovered in the 3 previous courses.

The desserts that made it all better

Our descent into IAD was uneventful. The landing was pretty smooth and we arrived 25 minutes early and had to wait a couple of minutes before we could park. I quickly got all of my belongings from the plane and walked briskly to transit immigration section,not knowing if the international morning flights would be in yet.