FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is M&M as bad as it seems?
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:00 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MichielR
If I'm not mistaken, both UA and AV require a minimum number of flights on UA/AV t be taken.

Look at SK as well.
For status, yes, but not for simple membership. Per the OP: "Well we are not super frequent flyers (anymore)".

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You should add another IF. As long as you don't want to redeem on LH and you feel comfortable that certain other airlines do not get down the drain, other programmes can be better. Availability on LH for LH's customers is better and there.are as financially stable as an airline can be.
Which is only really influential if you redeem in F and if you don't mind the large fuel surcharges, as long as we're adding if statements. It will take considerable intermittent flying to acquire the six digit mileage balances needed for LH F redemptions, especially if the OP and partner are typically in the travel classes where they are getting 25% mileage...

I think it quite unlikely that UA or US would enter bankruptcy in such a way that they completely eliminate the value of their FF miles as part of a liquidation- simple Chapter 11 has kept the frequent flyer programs around. Avianca you might have a point about- I could see a Latin American *A airline exiting messily like Mexicana did, and that should be accounted for in your earn/burn strategy. But in 10 years, who knows where LH will be if EK and FR keep taking away the top and the bottom of their customer base, and the best strategy is "earn and burn" anyway. Mileage always loses value over time.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 15, 2012 at 5:12 pm