FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Time Share Presentation:AC J/Y, OZ F/C, CA Y, TG F/C/Y, LH F/C, Maglev, Renfe AVE
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:15 am
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Seattle SeaTac International Airport
United Club “B” Gates – Near Gate B11
United Club “North Sattelite” (basement – North Sattelite)

“The land of no”

When we booked this ticket, AC was being stingy with frequent flyer reward availability on their flights. I understand that an airline has to manage revenue, but at the same time, I find that the restrictions and limitations are ridiculous. With a ticket that was booked exactly 300 days out, with 5 flights a day from Seattle to Vancouver, I was only able to find 2 reward seats available on the second last flight of the day, some 6 hours away from our arriving LH flight. Arriving at 11:30 AM, then became my intent to standby for an earlier flight since we had a first class reward ticket, and Air Canada had scheduled departures at 12:30 PM, 2:30 PM, 3:45 PM, and our scheduled flight at 5:30PM. It made no sense for us to wait around in SEA for 5 hours for the second last flight of the day, especially after arriving from a Trans Atlantic flight.

Leaving CBP secondary, having had all these wonderful travel experiences across the globe with people waiting all over you hand and foot, we walked up to an empty, unmanned connections desk in the South Satellite and found no one at the United / Asiana desk. With no one around, we headed into the public side and over to the Air Canada check in desk.

We rolled our bags out on to the people mover train, took the train from the south sattelite. We walked through the maze of narrow and dark Sea-Tac departures from one end to the other to find the AC desk at the very other end.

I was saddened to see how far down the Star Alliance chain we had come when we arrived to find one Air Canada Check in Agent (operated by United Ground Staff), with a line of five travelers in wait, with no business or Star Alliance Priority line. Without any options, we entered the line.

We waited a long 25 minutes in line – indeed the longest wait for a ticket agent that I have experienced in 7 years. Having had Star Gold status for several years now, when you get accustomed to such instant service with expedited treatment, it was a startling shock to be behind those first time flyers that we all started out as being. Listening to why this line was taking so long, I observed the gate agent ask a senior citizen ahead of me, who seemed to be headed on a cruise, to remove 4 lbs worth of clothing from his 54 lb bag. I was not expecting great treatment after that. I reached for my AC Elite card, at the ready.

While waiting in line missed the 1230 PM departure- as did some others who arrived late and were waiting to check in. When we got to the front, I asked to check in to the 5:35 PM flight, but that we’d like to stand by for the next available earlier flight.

“I don’t know if you’re allowed to do that. I’ll have to call AC.” UA Ground Staff Agent says.

A few clicks of the keyboard. I stand there. Unmoved.

“Did you want me to call?” UA Ground Staff asks?

“Yep !! “ I reply.

I could have driven home faster in a rental car in two hours, if I didn’t have to worry about a drop fee. We still had 4.5 hours left on our connection.

Our rep picked up the phone and with several long fingernails clicking away on a push button phone, called Air Canada. Surprisingly, she got the same experience that many other Air Canada Customers, waiting on hold for about 10 minutes with no answer. In the meantime, I took off our FRA tagged bags and kept the HON tags as a souvenir. While she waited on hold, she picked up her radio to attempt to arrange us seats on the 2:30 PM departure. She mentioned to her colleague that there were seven seats open for this departure, as her colleagues attempted to accommodate some earlier flyers that were denied boarding.

I stood there, in a jet lagged fog while watching the world of Sea Tac move past us, from our end of the terminal. Suddenly, a though crashes through my mind.

“Here – try calling these numbers” I said, handing her my Elite Card and pointing to the priority contact numbers on the back.

The UA Ground Staff agent hung up without thinking twice and dialed the Elite Priority contact numbers on the back of the Aeroplan card. An Aeroplan agent at the other end of the phone line had answered within about 60 seconds. After conferring with her Aeroplan colleages, AC told her that they would not allow a ticket change unless a $75 fee was paid by each of us. Since we’d already taken the day off work, and by this time we’d missed the 1230 departure, I didn’t think that $150 for the two of us was worth getting home 3 hrs early. I found this was very cheap on the part of Air Canada, not to allow same day standby for free, on a business reward ticket. I was pretty sure that this was a feature of the business reward ticket, but of course when it came to reading the reward ticket fine print, it read simply that standby was permitted “based on availability”.

We decided not to “pay” the fee and our bags were re-tagged back to Vancouver. New baggage tags were re-printed with the same flights as from Frankfurt. While this was taking place, an over zealous baggage handler assistant who had a striking resemblance to Bubbles from the television show “Trailer Park Boys” decided to tear off all my luggage tag barcodes from 3 years of travel. Groggy from the flight, and not feeling too confrontational, I said “You really don’t have to do that” [tear off the tags] to which he replied “Ghost tags! Can’t have the bag coming back around!” as he piled up about 11 old sticker tags onto his forearm arm. I doubted that anyone would think that my bag was destined to Sharm el Sheikh on Egypt Air direct from the confines of the Seattle basement, or to Nassau, Bahamas but apparently he knew better. So disappointing!

Instead, we proceeded to exact revenge on Air Canada by lounge hopping across the Seattle Airport and consuming stacks of free alcohol. Well that’s not exactly true, we were pretty wiped, but in my opinion, it didn’t make sense for AC to accommodate us in lounges for 5 hours when we could have flown home in otherwise empty seats. Over the next 4.5 hours, Ms World Traveller73, our FCT ducks and I visited the B Gate United Club (windows, no washrooms) where we enjoyed the last of our Gin and Tonics.

We later migrated slowly to the United Club in North Satellite (no windows, with washrooms), where we were pretty much sacked out for several hours. This place is pretty soulless and unfortunately, it’s the least bright star in the United Club system. Rumor amongst staff here is that UA will soon be relocating to the Sea Tac A Gates sometime next year, which will likely mean one new / refurbished United Club, and no more train rides to the North Satellite. You'll note MsWT73 crying (not really) seeing how far down the lounge chain that we've come.

After 5 hours of stagnant sitting, sipping G+T’s and eating Tillimook Pepperjack cheese like it was candy, I did introduce the LH duckies to the UA competitor lounge but I didn’t get any replies back on what they thought. It was apparent that the travel craziness was starting to get to me.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Jul 9, 2012 at 11:31 am