FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Turn off digital cameras too?
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:59 am
slopeboy40

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Turn off digital cameras too?

With all of the grief the AS chopping block is causing us lately this is hardly a big issue but still I am curious.

On AS 2011 last week SEA-MFR I had my digital camera out to take some pictures out the window on our departure (it was a beautiful morning in SEA). As we were taxiing, the FA barked at me from her seat to turn it off and that I could use it later. I did as I was told and later when we could use electronics she came over to me and told me that it is FAA reg's, that ANYTHING with an on/off switch has to be turned off. She further told me that if everyone on the plane had a digital camera on at the same time the FA's can sometimes get a shock using the PA/intercom. Seriously? I felt like I was being talked to like a child.

Now I have been on a flight or 2 or maybe it's closer to 2,000 and probably half of the time I have had my camera out taking pics or a video during depature and/or landing. I have NEVER been told to put it away and I have NEVER tried to hide that I was using one. I'd like to know somehow if they are allowed or not. Have I just been lucky to "get away with it" for all of these years or was this one FA a little over zealous. I'd like to use my camera if I can, I just don't want to get yelled at again, it was a little embarrassing.