FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:09 am
glocklt4

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by muji
Hope things work out for you. It is not surprising that people might be unaware of this stipulation - since normally, in other airline and hotel programs that I am aware of, transferring points or miles to another's account does not have such an expiration clause. It seems that in the process of transferring points online they should make this expiration matter very transparent and clear, perhaps by having the customer check/tick a box which states that they are aware that the points will expire in 90 days.
I ended up calling them and acted like I was unaware of the expiration date. He said that the miles expired FRIDAY (july 6th). He said that he talked to someone in the credit card department to see if they can be reinstated and I will hear back in a few days. He did say that when people call over the phone to transfer miles, they make it very clear that they expire in 90 days. I said that I did the transfer online and did not see any such expiration date. He went back and checked and confirmed the 90 days listed in the terms, I said that now I see it too. I recommended that they put that stipulation right on the main transfer page since it's that big of a deal, but we'll see if that feedback makes it up the chain or not.

I will report back if they decide to reinstate my points. Hopefully so since it is only 36 hours past the expiration date!