FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Time Share Presentation:AC J/Y, OZ F/C, CA Y, TG F/C/Y, LH F/C, Maglev, Renfe AVE
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:11 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Renfe AVE
Barcelona – Madrid (Barcelona Sants – Zargoza Deli - Madrid Puerta de Atocha)
AVE 3152 – Preferente Class (business – 3 class train)
0:300 PM – 5:45 PM
May 26, 2012
Fare: Web
Cost: 88.25€ (per pax)

For our return train trip, we had the same routing, Barcelona Sants to Madrid Atocha. After checking out of the AC Sants Hotel and our high risk roll of luggage across the Sants Train Station square, we sought seclusion and security in the much more impressive looking Renfe Sala Club in Barcelona Sants.

The entry was significantly better marked. It was also interesting to see that this particular lounge was before the security screening checkpoint, or on the public side, compared to the Madrid Atocha lounge which was on the secure side.

Once inside, we were treated to a quiet room that was decorated in a manner similar to the BMI Lounge in London. A wild print was across the beverage wall, and a delicate curtain separated the seating and dining areas.

The usual snacks were on offer, in addition to canned olives. As in Madrid, other than beer, there was no alcohol on offer.

When it was time to depart, we descended into the dark basement of Sants and boarded our train. I was curious to see what turista (economy) class was like so once I was on board, I took a little walk around. It was pretty packed to say the least.

Bags all over the floor with no storage left at T – 10.

Slightly tighter seats in a 2-2 configuration, instead of a 1-2 configuration. There were also lots of children being settled down before the big train ride. This was on a Saturday mid day which was likely a good time for families to travel.

Cafeteria car.

I returned to preferente where the menus were being handed out for the day. Today’s lunch was a smoked salmon appetizer, gazpachio cold soup, and chicken breast with olive oil.

The ride back was pretty uneventful with similar scenery.

Overall:

Renfe AVE was a pleasant way to travel between the two cities. Unfortunately, this convenience does not come cheap! Our tickets Round Trip were 151€ each ($190 USD). We likely saved on taxi transfers by not having to travel out to the airport which offset the more expensive fare.