FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bos-lhr-pek/pvg-lax
View Single Post
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:15 pm
James Elkins

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
My first thought is UA miles, BOS-ZRH/FRA/BRU-train/99 euro flight to LON-PEK- HS train to PVG-ICN/NRT-LAX.

Just a quick thought. BRU is easy for accessing London and you'll be able to use LON tax savings to cover the Eurostar. LON won't be a legal stopover post BMI...

Edit: Forgot to mention you'll need to add on a throwaway LAX -BOS at the end
Hey, I don't think you can do that because:
1. UA will not allow you to go TATL and TPAC.
2. That looks like 2 open jaws (between ZRH/FRA/BRU and LON and between PEK and PVG), one of which does not include the destination. Double open jaws are permissible on UA but one of them has to include the origin.
3. There is no *A flight from BOS-BRU. There are some EWR/IAD/PHL flights to BRU, but that would add another connection.

What you can do is come back the same way you came. So something like BOS-ZRH/FRA/MUC (stopover)-cheap flight to LON & cheap flight back to ZRH/FRA/MUC (FRA is probably best since both LH and CA fly FRA-PVG and FRA-PEK)-PEK (open jaw, high speed train to) PVG-FRA-EWR-LAX. This uses a double open jaw (between PEK and PVG and between LAX-BOS) and a stopover (in FRA). We are flying through EWR on the way back because I'm pretty sure you can't transit a city twice. The MPM (maximum permitted mileage) between BOS and PEK is 8409 1-way, so round trip that would be 16818. United will allow you to exceed the MPM by 15%, so that bumps the MPM up to 19340.7 miles that you can fly on this award. Unfortunately BOS-FRA-PEK;PVG-FRA-EWR-LAX is at 20363 miles, so unless you get a super nice agent you will not be able to book that itinerary.

However, you can get to EWR under the 19340.7 mileage limit on one award (BOS-FRA-PEK;PVG-FRA-EWR). That award will cost you 65K miles. You can then book another flight from EWR-LAX for 12500 United miles.

Also, here's a start for finding the cheap RT flight from FRA-LON. Good luck! Post a trip report when the whole thing gets underway!